Stationers' Hall is one of the few ancient Livery Halls remaining in the City of London.
The Stationers' Company originated in 1403 when the Mayor of the City of London approved the formation of a stationers' guild, whose members were text writers and illuminators of manuscript books, booksellers, bookbinders and suppliers of parchment, pens and paper. A stationer was one who traded from a 'stationery' stall round St Paul's Cathedral.
The ambition of all Livery companies was to own a hall and the Stationers were no exception. In 1606, the Stationers purchased Abergavenny House on the site of the present Hall. During the early days of September 1666 the Great Fire destroyed the major part of the City of London and Abergavenny House was burned to the ground.
Work on the present Hall began in 1670 and by 1673 it was ready for use. Additions took place at the end of the 18th century, including the magnificent stained glass windows in the Livery Hall.
Stationers' Hall today is one of the most beautiful in London and is now available for exclusive hire for corporate and private events. Click here to find out more about hiring the Hall.
To find out more about The Stationers' Company, please click here.